Thursday, January 12, 2017

Looking back on the career of Ana Ivanovic

                                          Credit: NAPARAZZI. Click here for source

 In what came as surprising news to some, Ana Ivanovic called it a career on December 28, 2016, just days before the New Year.

Ivanovic announced the decision live on her Facebook page, saying:

"I've decided to retire from professional tennis. It has been a difficult decision, but there is so much to celebrate. I began dreaming about tennis when I was five and saw Monica Seles play live on TV. My dear parents backed me all the way, by the time I was ranked number one in the world and I won Roland Garros in 2008, I've seen the heights I've never dreamed of achieving, I won 15 WTA Tour titles, 3 Grand Slam finals, Fed Cup finals, and I played so many memorable matches. But seeing those heights in any professional sports dream requires top physical form and it's been well known that I've been hampered by injuries. So for myself, for all my fans, and all these young girls and boys who might be watching me, I can only play if I can perform up to my own high standards." 


After a 13 year career on the WTA Tour, Ana Ivanovic no longer feels like she has the ability to play up to the level that she wants to play at. She doesn't want to be somebody who is on the court well past her prime. At the moment, she is ranked #63 in the world and rather than trying to battle back into the top-25, she has instead decided to move on to the next chapter of her life. As hard of a decision as this is for any athlete, a lot of it boils down to what you want out of the sport that you are competing in and for Ana Ivanovic, playing professional tennis isn't worth doing if she can't stay healthy and play up to the standards that she expects to play at.

Ana Ivanovic doesn't want her fans to see her not play her best and that is something that I can respect. Too often, professional athletes are solely focused on collecting their next pay check and not thinking about the fact that they have fans that want them to play at their highest level. Ana Ivanovic doesn't want to go out there and not give the fans what they are hoping to see. She understands that professional sports is as much about the fans and entertainment as it is about competition.

When looking back on the career of Ana Ivanovic, it is clear that she accomplished a lot. She won the French Open at Roland Garros in 2008, reached #1 in the world, and for 11 straight seasons finished the season ranked inside the top-25. To compete on the WTA Tour for 13 seasons alone is incredible, but to have 11 straight seasons of being a top-25 player is truly remarkable due to the grueling nature of the tour. While she didn't win multiple Grand Slams like many expected her to, she still walks away from the sport of tennis as a hall of fame player and one of the best players of her generation.

As far as what is next for Ana Ivanovic, she says she is going to be an ambassador for the sport of tennis, get more involved with UNICEF, and spend more time pursuing other hobbies and interests. Ultimately, she hopes to stay involved in the game of tennis and give back. She has certainly been a classy player for her entire career and I wish her success in her future endeavors. The sport of tennis will miss watching her play, but it is comforting to know that she will do all she can to stay connected to the sport now that her playing career is over.

To connect with ATP Guy on Twitter, click here

To connect with ATP Guy on Facebook, click here

Note: Look for my Australian Open preview to be published over the weekend. It starts Monday, January 16. 



No comments:

Post a Comment